Karen House Catholic Worker
The Catholic Worker on Economics
(Please scroll down for "Easy Essays by Peter Maurin")
From Karen House Catholic Worker:
- Building a New Society: Spring 2008 RoundTable
- The Global Economy: Fall 2001 RoundTable
From the Los Angeles Catholic Worker:
- Free Market Capitalism: Robbing the Poor - Jeff Deitrich
- The Bailout: Socialism For Wall Street - Interview with Mark Engler
From the Houston Catholic Worker:
- Faith and the Financial Crisis - Jim Consedine
- It's All About Usury - John Médaille
1840 Hogan St.
St. Louis, MO 63106
From the Des Moines Catholic Worker:
- Trying to Serve God and Money is a Losing Bet - Frank Cordaro
- Heterosexism as a Metaphor for Capitalism and Other Sins - Mona Shaw
From the Catholic Worker Founders:
- Easy Essays on Economics and Responsibility- Peter Maurin
- On Interest and Money Lending- Dorothy Day
More on Distributism (economic system promoted by the Catholic Worker):
From Peter Maurin, co-founder of the Catholic Worker Movement
Share Your Wealth
1. God wants us to be our brother's keeper.
2. To feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to shelter the homeless, to instruct the ignorant, at a personal sacrifice, is what God wants us to do.
3. What we give to the poor for Christ's sake is what we carry with us when we die.
4. As Jean-Jacques Rousseau say: "When man dies he carries in his clutches hands only that which he has given away."
Passing The Buck
1. In the first centuries of Christianity the poor were fed, clothed, and sheltered at a personal sacrifice and the Pagans said about the Christians: "See how they love each other."
2. Today the poor are fed, clothed, and sheltered by the politicians at the expense of the taxpayers.
3. And because the poor are no longer fed, clothed, and sheltered at a personal sacrifice but at the expense of taxpayers Pagans say about Christians: "See how they pass the buck."
1. Because John Calvin legalized money-lending at interest, the State has legalized money-lending at interest.
2. Because the State has legalized money-lending at interest, home owners have mortgaged their farms; institutions have mortgaged their buildings; congregations have mortgaged their churches; cities, counties, States and Federal Government have mortgaged their budgets.
3. So people find themselves in all kinds of financial difficulties because the State has legalized money-lending at interest in spite of the teachings of the Prophets of Israel and the Founders of the Church
A Radical Change
1. The order of the day is to talk about the social order.
2. Conservatives would like to keep it from changing but they don't know how.
3. Liberals try to patch it and call it a New Deal.
4. Socialists want a change, but a gradual change.
5. Communists want a change, an immediate change, but a Socialist change.
6. Communists in Russia do not build Communism, they build Socialism.
7. Communists want to pass from capitalism to Socialism and from Socialism to Communism.
8. I want a change, and a radical change.
9. I want a change from an acquisitive society to a functional society, from a society of go-getters to a society of go-givers.